Passer au contenu

/ UdeM international

Je donne


Globalink Research Awards

Conduct research at Université de Montréal with Globalink Research Awards

Globalink Research Awards support collaborations between Canada and several partner organizations, countries, and regions. 

Thanks to an agreement between Canadian organization Mitacs and UdeM, several scholarships are offered each year to international students wishing to conduct research at our university. 

Submit you application no later than 16 weeks before the start of the research project.

I had the opportunity to complete my training in Canada with this scholarship. I was thrilled to learn that at the end of my stay, I was admitted to the Master's degree in veterinary sciences at UdeM's Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. 

- Rosette Kakese, Globalink Research Awardee

You would like to earn one of these scholarships? Find out how:  

1. Apply

To be eligible, you must:  

  • Be 18 years of age or older at the time you apply.
  • Be an undergraduate (have completed your second year of study prior to departure) or graduate student, regardless of the discipline. 

  • Be enroled as a full-time student for the entire research stay.  

  • Plan for a 12- to 24-week research stay at UdeM. Up to a quarter of the duration of the research project can be carried out at your home university. No courses/seminars may be taken during the research.  

  • Obtain C$3,000 in co-funding. As the Globalink Research Award is for C$6,000, half will be funded by Mitacs and the other half must come from an outside source (your home university or through a co-funding agreement with your home university) or from the person supervising your project at UdeM. Please consult the student mobility officers at your home university or your academic supervisor at UdeM. 

  • Meet the immigration requirements for Canada. 

  • Not begin your research stay until the award has been approved by Mitacs. 

Important: As a result of legislative changes, postdoctoral fellows are now considered employees of the university and are no longer eligible for a Globalink Research Award. 

Submitting applications 

To submit an application, first download the latest version of the application kit below.

Application kit

Fill out the documents and e-mail them to Étienne Pineault, Senior Advisor, Strategic partnerships, International affairs at Mitacs, who will carry out a pre-assessment. If your application is complete, he will send you a link to the GRA application portal (GRAAP), where you can submit it.

Your application will then be forwarded to the Mitacs review committee, who will generate a confirmation number (IT number) and share it with UdeM international. Once we have received this number, we will send you confirmation of your application, indicating the deadline for receiving the outcome and the list of steps to follow in order to obtain the award. 

If you have any questions about the program, please contact Étienne Pineault.


In view of the immigration procedures required for a stay in Canada, complete applications must be submitted on the GRA application portal (GRAAP) no later than 16 weeks before the start of the research project. To meet these requirements, be sure to start the application process as soon as possible.

Application review and timeframes  

Mitacs will evaluate the scholarship application and may request updates, which may cause the response to take longer. The letter announcing the outcome of the review will be sent to you by email up to 12 weeks after your application has been officially submitted to Mitacs.   

Roles and responsibilities of those supervising the research  

When you apply for a Globalink Research Award, you must mention that you are being supervised by two people: one from your home university and the other from UdeM. Their roles and responsibilities include:   

The person supervising your research project at UdeM must: 

  •  Comply with institutional policies applicable to researchers  
  • Lead and support your research at all times  

  • Ensure that you have the resources, lab or appropriate workspace to conduct your research project 

  • Fill out the invitation form with you to determine the immigration process and the time frame for your arrival in Canada  

  • When necessary, ensure that you have ethics approval issued by UdeM and accompany you in the steps to obtain it 

  • If possible, provide co-funding for the Globalink Research Award  

  • Have its academic unit work with UdeM’s Human Resources Department to determine if you need a work permit and to provide you with an offer of employment number, if applicable  

  • Submit a final survey and sign your final report    

The person supervising your research project at your home university must:  

  • Adhere to institutional policies for research abroad  

  • Lead and support your research at all times  

  • Submit a final survey and sign your final report  

2. Immigration process

Understanding your immigration process 

UdeM international will send you information regarding immigration steps necessary for your research stay in Canada only once Mitacs confirms your application has been submitted, along with your IT number.

If you wish to begin your immigration process before then, please refer to the academic unit welcoming you at UdeM for more details.

In any case, you will be responsible for taking the necessary steps as soon as possible to plan for your arrival in Canada.   

A minimum of 3 months is required to obtain authorization to come to Canada.    

Important: Do not plan to arrive in Canada until you have obtained all the necessary immigration documents for your stay.   

Extending your stay 

Extending a research stay can be very complex. Doing so can cause delays, costs, and disruption to your research activities.  

If you wish to extend your stay, it is strongly recommended that you plan for this before your arrival in Canada. Visit our section on admission and registration at UdeM for more information.  

Applying for a work permit 

Based on your invitation form’s analysis, you may need to apply for a work permit.   

The person supervising your research and the person in charge of administration in your host academic unit at UdeM can help you in this process.   

Once you have received your outcome letter, a UdeM offer of employment number will be requested for you in order to obtain a work permit, if one is required.   

Important: Prepare your required documents in advance, as the process of obtaining a work permit can take several months. 

Questions about the work permit? Contact your research supervisor and/or the person in charge of administration in your host academic unit at UdeM. Our team will only send you basic information about these immigration steps.    

Please note: The pandemic has brought a lot of changes to the immigration rules in effect in Canada and around the world. Vaccination requirements may change over time, so you should keep yourself informed of changes in the rules for entering and leaving Canada and your country of origin. 

Learn more about applying for a work permit in Canada

3. Obtaining ethics approval

Depending on the nature of your research project, you may be required to obtain approvals for research involving human or animal subjects, biohazards, or the use of radioactive materials or controlled substances (e.g. cannabis).   

In accordance with Mitacs and UdeM rules, ethics approval must:  

  • Be obtained prior to the start of your research project  

  • Cover the entire duration of your research (confirmation of renewal must also be sent to us if the ethics approval is not valid for the entire duration of the research stay)  

Questions about ethics approval? Contact your UdeM research supervisor, who will be able to help you with these steps. Our team will only send you basic information on the subject.    

Important: Start this process as soon as possible since delays can be long. If your project requires ethics approval, the scholarship will not be paid until this document is obtained.    

4. Admission and enrolment

Outcome letter 

If Mitacs’ review committee approves your scholarship application, you will be emailed an outcome letter.  

This letter will be accompanied by three documents that must be completed, signed, and returned to Mitacs as soon as possible, once you have obtained all the necessary immigration documents for your stay in Canada and confirmed your stay dates:   

  1. Interne Acceptance Form  

  2. Participant Code of Conduct and Ethics  

  3. International Pre-Departure form  

Important: The issuance of your award letter is contingent on receipt of these completed documents. You will need to wait until you receive your outcome letter from Mitacs to begin your research stay.  

Admission and enrolment in a research stay via the exchange program 

To be admitted under this status, your stay must last less than 6 months. Otherwise, you will need to apply as a Training or Research Intern.   

When you confirm that you have the necessary immigration documents for your stay in Canada, we will send you the information to begin the admission and registration procedure for your research stay via the exchange program.   

This process can be long. It is therefore important to start as soon as possible. Admission and active status are required for payment of the Globalink Research Award.   

Fee amounts  

As a research student via the exchange program, you are exempt from paying UdeM tuition fees. You still receive all the benefits of full-time enrollees (library, CEPSUM-Athletic centre, Student Life Services, etc.).   

A mandatory health insurance fee will be charged to your Centre étudiant (student portal). Please note that people from certain countries may apply for an exemption.  

Extension of stay  

Extending a research stay can be very complex. Doing so can cause delays, costs, and disruption to your research activities. 

If you wish to extend your stay, it is strongly recommended that you plan for this before your arrival in Canada.  

It is not possible to stay longer than 6 months as a research student via the exchange program. If you plan to stay for this length of time or wish to extend your stay beyond 6 months, you must apply for admission and enrolment as a Training or Research Intern through Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.  

This means:  

  • Having the necessary immigration documents for this extension  

  • Re-applying for admission (some admission fees apply and immigration documents will be requested)  

  • Paying administrative fees according to the length of the stay  

  • That you will no longer have access to Student Life Services or the CEPSUM-Athletic Centre 

Admission and active status are required for payment of the Globalink Research Award.   

Any questions? Email us at  

5. Funding


In order to receive a Globalink Research Award, you must provide co-funding of C$3,000 and send it to UdeM, according to the instructions that will be provided.   

Important: The person at UdeM who supervises your research must not pay this co-funding directly to you.   

The source of the C$3,000 co-funding must be determined at the time of the application. Here are the accepted sources of co-funding:  

  • Co-funding from your home university: In this case, note that the C$3,000 co-funding must be transferred by the home university directly to UdeM (not to the student) by wire transfer. To do so, we will send in due time the necessary information to the person in charge of processing the transfer. 

  • Co-funding from your home university by agreement: UdeM signs agreements regarding co-funding for Globalink Research Award recipients with certain universities abroad. When this is the case, these partners organize internal contests. In addition, co-funding funds are forwarded to UdeM in accordance with the details of the agreement. 

  • Co-funding from a UdeM professor: The C$3,000 co-funding can be transferred to us internally if the professor's funds are tied to UdeM. Therefore, in due course and after receiving the award letter from Mitacs, we will do the necessary follow-ups to recover funds internally. If the funds are managed by an affiliated centre, for example, and not by UdeM, we will send the professor the necessary information to wire transfer them to UdeM.   

Award Letter 

The award letter sent by Mitacs could be issued after your research stay has already begun.  

We will ensure that all steps are completed before we pay the scholarship to you. We will be able to begin the payment process according to the guidelines of the UdeM's Finance Department and inform you of the expected payment date only after we receive the award letter. 

Payment of the award  

With some exceptions, we pay the scholarship in a single payment. Payment is subject to UdeM Finance Department's scholarships payment schedule and will therefore be processed on the 1st or 15th of the month.  

Payment will be made according to the payment option provided: 

  • Payment by direct deposit to a Canadian bank account (preferred option)   

  • Wire transfer to a foreign bank account (not a preferred option as it can result in significant fees and processing time)  

All details will be provided to you in due course. 

UdeM academic units are not required to open projects or disburse funds to students.   

Important: It is strongly recommended that you be financially self-sufficient for the first few months of your stay in Canada, as certain delays may occur in the payment of your scholarship. 

6. Once admitted at UdeM

Official letters  

An official admission letter and acceptance letter will be available in your Centre étudiant. Even though it is mentioned that the letter of acceptance must be used for immigration purposes, it is best to use a specific letter provided by your academic unit to obtain immigration documents or to cross the border.

Academic Life  

UdeM international will contact your academic unit to register you for full-time status.  


Following registration, you may be required to pay a mandatory medical insurance fee through your student center.

Please note that students from certain countries can apply to be exempt.

For more information regarding insurance

If you have any questions regarding the payment of these fees, please see the details online or contact  

Proof of your status in Canada    

You will also need to submit your immigration documents. For more information, please see the details by clicking on the tasks that will appear in your student center:   

Under Permis de séjour: Please upload one of the immigration documents listed above: 

  • Work Permit  
  • Passport and boarding pass  
  • Airline ticket and boarding pass  

Under CAQ/Exemptions: Please upload your invitation letter.  

Note that the UdeM's Registrar's Office will contact you if there is a problem with the documents you provide or if another document is required. If you have any questions about this, please contact their team directly.

Improve your French 

Do you want to improve your French? We have a few suggestions to help you in this process. 

5. Useful resources


Find out about student residencies. For more information and assistance regarding off-campus housing, please see the Student Services website. You'll find a practical guide for housing search and links to housing search assistance workshops there. In french only.

Administrative information

Medical insurance  

UdeM has a mandatory group medical insurance plan. Please note that a medical insurance fee of approximately $324 per term will automatically be charged to you via your Student Centre.   

Some students may request to be exempt.  

Learn more about medical insurance

Student Centre  

The Student Centre is the online portal through which you can find information about: 

  • Your studies at UdeM (course schedule, list of courses, gardes, etc.)  
  • Financial information (account statements, health insurance fees, language course fees)  
  • Admission (progression of your application, official acceptance information)  
  • Your personal contact information  
  • Uploading documents (application, immigration, insurance, etc.)  

If you are having difficulty accessing the Student Centre, please consult the Student Centre Help Page.  

Institutional email   

Communications from UdeM will be sent to your institutional email. See how to set up your email >

University calendar 

Consult the university calendar for the exact start and end dates of each term, depending on your faculty or school at UdeM.  

Student invoice 

Once your enrolment is finalized and during the beginning of each term, fees will appear on your Student Centre. These are mandatory medical insurance fees and faculty fees, if applicable. You must pay these fees by the date indicated on your invoice or you will be billed for interest.   

Certificate of enrollment 

Should you need for an official document to be issued or signed (certificate of enrolment, proof of arrival/departure, letter for obtaining a scholarship, etc.), please request it by contacting the Registrar’s Office (fees apply). 

Student ID  

Find out how to obtain your student card >

New Students Office

Kick off your exchange at UdeM on the right foot with a wide range of resources and opportunities to help with your arrival and integration.

UdeM +1 Facebook Group  

This Facebook group is dedicated to newly admitted students and students awaiting admission to UdeM in the fall or winter. You are invited to ask questions and share with your peers.  

Through their unique backgrounds, the student ambassadors will answer your questions and share their experiences with you.  

Join the 2024-2025 group

Buddy Program

Studying abroad can be challenging, but you do not have to go through it alone! Experienced students can help you with your arrival and the early stages of your exchange. The Buddy Program pairs you with students who will offer you their support and expertise. With its various exclusive networking activities, you will also have the opportunity to meet other new students.

Apply for the Buddy Program

It is possible to apply from the beginning of August.

Orientation activities

At the start of every academic year, UdeM Student Life Services (Services à la vie étudiante) put on a wide variety of events that offer you many opportunities to build friendships and to discover all that UdeM has to offer. Orientation Week, designed especially for new students, takes place at the end of August. It includes orientation activities, workshops, campus tours, and much more.

You won’t want to miss this chance to discover all the good things waiting for you at UdeM. It’s also a great chance to meet the yearly group of ambassadors in person—the people who will use their knowledge of the UdeM campus to keep you entertained and welcome you into our big family.

For exchange students who are coming to UdeM at the start of winter term, a similar set of orientation activities are held at the start of January. Whenever you arrive, take advantage of these opportunities to familiarize yourself with everything that your UdeM has to offer and to start off your time here on the right foot!

Learn more about the Orientation Week


Focus UdeM blog 

Check out our blog for new students where student ambassadors share their authentic university experience.

Discover Focus UdeM

Resources on living in Montréal

Familiarise yourselves about life in Montréal and find out more about cost of living, food, culture, transportation and much more.

Health and psychological support

Our health and psychological support services are accessible at any time.

Students living with disabilities

Students can contact the Office for Students with Disabilities for assessment and support prior to arrival, to ensure that they qualify for services.

Additional fees may apply for some services.

Learn more about the offered support

Athletic activities

As an exchange student, you will have access to the UdeM athletics centre (CEPSUM).  

See the available activities

Your resources
Questions about choosing courses, enrolment, etc.

Academic advisor - Your advisor's contact information is included in your welcome message.

Student Technician (TGDE)

Mitacs Globalink Research Awards:

Health insurance - Group health insurance
HousingOff-campus housing |
Support and activities for international studentsSupport for the International Students 
Activities for new studentsNew Students Office
Any other questions

Student Mobility Team:

Mitacs Globalink Research Awards: