Mitacs Globalink Funding Programs for International Students
Mitacs is a Canadian not-for-profit organization supporting university research with partnerships that support industrial and social innovation. It aims to help students develop their careers, a network and professional skills, and creates links in all disciplines between university research and Canadian societal and economic needs.
Globalink Research Award
Mitacs and Université de Montréal have signed in early 2019 a new partnership agreement that provides 150 new scholarships each year for foreign students who wish to do a research stay at UdeM.
In the context of the pandemic, the reopening of the Globalink Research Awards Program is subject to the regulations of the government of Canada and certain conditions:
- The feasibility of Globalink research stay depends on the agreement of the research supervisor;
- It is the student's responsibility to stay updated on Canada’s latest travel regulations according to their situation and to make sure that requirements for entry are met. Requirements currently in effect may change at any time without prior notice. Please note that all fees are at the cost of the student (immigration paperwork, COVID-19 testing, planning of a possible mandatory quarantine, using the ArriveCAN mobile application, etc.).
- Be 18 years old and over at the time of application;
- Foreign undergraduate students in their final year (must have completed second year of study before beginning their research at UdeM), foreign graduate students or foreign postdoctoral fellows, in any discipline;
- Students must come from a university or university-level research center;
- The home institution must be located in an eligible country: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, China, Colombia, all European Union member states, India, Iran, Israel, Japan, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Switzerland, Taïwan, Tunisia, United Kingdom, the USA and Ukraine;
- The research stay at UdeM must be from 12 to 24 weeks;
- Students must have a professor supervisor at their home university and another at UdeM;
- Students can receive a $6,000 CAD grant, half of which is funded by Mitacs Globalink and the other half by an outside organization (e.g., home university, granting agencies, private companies, home university supervisor, UdeM supervisor, etc.). Please consult your student mobility office or your home university supervisor;
- Funding of research only. No courses / seminars can be taken during the research;
- Student must meet with the requirements of the International Students Office (Bureau des étudiants internationaux);
- Research stay can not begin until Globalink Fellowship is accepted;
- Deadline: the application can be submitted at any time, but is required 16 weeks before the start of the research project.
To know more about the application process, download the application package (zip file).
For more information on this program or to obtain the signature of the UdeM representative (section 6.0. of the Application Form) once the file is completed, please contact Anaïs Détolle, Business development specialist - Mitacs Programs at the International Affairs Office.
- Foreign graduate students or postdoctoral fellows, in any discipline.
- The research project must be with a for-profit company, an NPO, or a Crown corporation in Canada.
- The research stay must be from 4 to 48 months.
- Students can receive a $15,000 grant, half of which is funded by Mitacs Globalink and the other half by the partner organization.
- Eligible countries:
- Brazil China, Korea, United-States, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Macau, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Singapore, Taiwan, Tunisia
- European Union: Germany, France, United Kingdom. Travel to other countries of the European Union is possible if the projects are part of the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA) RISE.
Learn more about the Accelerate International Program
For any information on the program, contact Julie Benoit, International Affairs Advisor at the IAO.
Globalink Research Internships
The Mitacs Globalink Research Internship program enables UdeM professor-researchers to host final-year undergraduate students from Mitacs partner countries. The 12-week internships take place each year between May and September.
UdeM hosts more than 20 Mitacs Globalink research interns yearly. UdeM professor-researchers are invited to submit their research projects to Mitacs between April and June each year.
Former Mitacs Globalink Research Interns who wish to come to Université de Montréal to pursue graduate studies are eligible for a $15,000 CAD Globalink Graduate Fellowship from Mitacs.
Learn more about Mitacs Globalink Research Internships
For more information on the program, contact Julie Benoit, International Affairs Advisor at the IAO.