Passer au contenu

/ International Affairs Office

Je donne


Research stay

Conduct research at UdeM

If you are a foreign student, particularly at the master’s or doctorate level, you may undertake research activities at Université de Montréal under the supervision of a UdeM professor-researcher for a maximum of 12 months. 

You are responsible for finding a professor to supervise you during your stay at UdeM, for getting approval from your home university, for financing your stay, and for following all immigration procedures related to your research stay. 

Finding a research supervisor

Different statuses

Research stay through the UdeM exchange program

Conditions for admission

  • Your stay must be less than 6 months;
  • A partnership agreement must have been signed with UdeM. Click here to consult the directory of partnership agreements.

Benefits and responsibilities

  • No admission fees;
  • Exemption from tuition fees;
  • Access to exchange program benefits and privileges, including student services and the CEPSUM (sport center);
  • Students must pay for compulsory medical insurance.

Responsibilities of the professor

  • Welcome and supervise the student;
  • Upon admission, the professor make sure the student is registered to the proper research status.

Admission process for a research stay through the exchange program

  1. Send this letter of invitation by email to
  2. Submit an online application in order to create theStudent Center (online portal). A link will be sent to you upon the reception of your invitation letter.

    Attention: you must choose the term corresponding to the beginning of your stay as well the terms corresponding to the full duration of your stay.

    Fall term: September to December
    Winter term: January to April
    Summer term: May to August

    You also must select the correct level of study according to your enrolment at UdeM:
    1er cycle : bachelor level
    2e cycle : master level
    3e cycle : doctorate level

  3. Upload your invitation letter to your Student Center. An automated e-mail will be sent with the necessary information to complete this step.
  4. Upload a certified copy of a document listing your name and your parents’ names (e.g. birth certificate or family record book). An official translation, issued by an appropriate authority, in French or English if the document is in another language, is compulsory. This document is required by the UdeM Registrar’s Office


We recommend that you begin your application at least two months prior to the projected start of your research stay. Your official letter of admission should be issued approximately one month following the submission of your online application.

Visiting researcher

Conditions for admission

  • Your stay is more than 6 months;
  • There is no partnership agreement with your home institution.

Admission and administrative fees are to be expected.

Students may be admitted to UdeM with Student Visiting Researcher status, administered by the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Office (ESP).

For information on this status, contact the ESP.


You may be eligible the receive the Mitacs Globalink award. An application can be submitted at any time.

Click here to learn more about eligibility criteria and application instructions.

Additional information:

  1. You must get approval from a professor/supervisor at UdeM before submitting your application.
  2. Incoming students must obtain $3,000 in co-funding from an external source (professor/supervisor from UdeM or home institution, funding organizations, personal funding, private companies, etc.)
  3. Please note that your application for the Globalink award must be submitted 16 weeks before the start date of your research project. 


Immigration procedures are essential for ensuring a successful research stay. They may take longer depending on your nationality and country of origin.

You may also be asked to upload certain immigration documents on your Student Center.

Please get in touch with the International Students Office (BEI) for all questions related to immigration formalities.