If you are a foreign student, particularly at the master’s or doctorate level, you may undertake research activities at UdeM under the supervision of a UdeM professor-researcher for a maximum of 12 months.
You are responsible for finding a professor who agrees to supervise you during your stay at UdeM, for having this supervision recognized by your home university, for financing your stay, and for following all immigration procedures related to your research stay.
The status of students who wish to conduct research at the UdeM depends on the duration of their stay and their home university:
If there is a partnership agreement
To find out if your home university has a partnership with the UdeM, see the agreement list.
If the research stay is less than six months, students can be admitted to the UdeM through the exchange program, which allows them to:
- Be exempted from tuition fees.
- Have access to the benefits and privileges of this program, including student services.
Steps to be admitted for a research stay through the Exchange Program:
- Send this letter of invitation by email to Judith Beaulieu.
- Apply online in order to create yourself a Student Center (online portal). A link will be provided to you after the reception of your invitation letter.
Attention : you must choose the session corresponding to the beginning of your stay and the following sessions if your stay overlaps more than one session.
- Fall term : September to December
- Winter term : January to April
- Summer term : May to August
- Upload your invitation letter through your Student Center, a copy of your birth certificate and a copy of your passport.
Upon your arrival at UdeM, you must present the following document to the Registrar’s Office:
- A certified copy of a single document listing your name and your parents’ names (e.g. birth certificate or family record book). An official translation, issued by a competent authority, in French or English if the document is in another language, is compulsory. IMPORTANT: your admission will not be processed if the translation is not official.
We recommend that you begin your application at least two months prior to the projected start of your research stay. You may expect to receive your official notice of admission one month following the submission of your application.
If the research stay is more than six months, students may be admitted to UdeM through the Visiting Student Researcher Program, managed by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
If there is no partnership agreement
Students may be admitted to UdeM with Student Visiting Researcher status, managed by the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
For information on this status, contact the ESP: email@example.com
For questions related to research stays, contact Judith Beaulieu.