Passer au contenu

/ UdeM international

Je donne


Internships and research stays

If you are a foreign student, you can come to the Université de Montréal for a research stay, a clinical internship or any other internship, under the supervision of a UdeM professor-researcher, for a maximum duration of 12 months.  

Start by identifying your admission status at UdeM: 

  • Training of research internship: there is no partnership agreement signed between your home institution and UdeM and your stay lasts less than 12 months? You can carry out your stay as a training or research intern.
  • Research stay or internship via the exchange program: your stay lasts less than 6 months and a partnership agreement was signed between your home institution and UdeM? You are eligible to apply for a research stay or an internship via the exchange program.
    Follow the steps shown below:

Carry out your research stay or internship via the exchange program:

1. Find a resource person

Find a supervisor who will oversee your project


You must find a professor who will accept to supervise you during your stay at UdeM. You are also responsible for having your supervision recognized by your home university, for financing your stay and for completing the necessary immigration procedures according to the nature of your stay.  


You must find an internship environment and ensure that you obtain the approval of the academic unit that will host you. The supervisor can be a teacher, researcher or internship coordinator at UdeM. Your home university can help you find an intership environment or a supervisor at UdeM.

Benefits and responsibilities of the student:

  • No admission fees
  • Tuition fees waived  
  • Access to the benefits and privileges of the exchange program, including all student services and the CEPSUM (sports center). 
  • The lenght of the research must be under 6 contiunous month; for example, the research cannot be divided into two three-month long stays over two years. Research stays cannot be split. 
  • The student must pay the mandatory medical insurance fee.  

Responsibilities of the resource person and his/her unit:

  • Supervising and welcoming the student
  • Have its home unit must register the student.   
  • Take the necessary steps with the UdeM Human Resources Department to request a job offer number, if necessary.  
  • Provide the student with the necessary documents for immigration purposes.   

2. Immigration procedures

Once you have obtained the agreement of a research professor at UdeM, you must send the invitation form to making sure that you have filled in all the information requested.     

After analyzing your invitation form, our team will provide you with the necessary information to begin your immigration process, depending on the nature of your stay, its duration, your citizenship and your country of residence.   

You are then responsible for taking the necessary steps as soon as possible once you have received the information in order to facilitate your arrival in Canada. 

Please note that it usually takes a minimum of 3 months to obtain the authorizations to come to Canada. 

CAUTION: It is important not to plan to arrive in Canada until you receive a decision on your immigration application.  

Mention for Globalink Research Scholarship students:  

If you are a Mitacs Research Scholar, check out this section >

3. Application for admission

Once you have received the necessary indications to begin your immigration process from the International Students' Office, you must follow the following steps in order to complete your official application for admission to the Université de Montréal.   

  1. Send your letter of invitation and the International Students' Office analysis by email to
  2. A team member will then invite you to submit an online application to create a Student Center. A link will be provided. Please note: You must choose the session corresponding to the beginning of your stay and the following sessions if your stay overlaps several sessions.

    • Fall session: from September to December
    • Winter session: from January to April
    • Summer session: from May to August
    • You must also select the right study cycle according to your registration at UdeM.

  3. Upload the invitation letter to your Student Center. An automatic email will be sent to you with information to complete this step.
  4. Also upload the following document (required by the Registrar's Office): a certified copy of your birth certificate or family record book. The document must show your parents' names and your full name. An official translation, issued by a competent authority, in French or English must be provided if the document is in another language. Important: your admission cannot be effective if the translation is not official.  


We recommend that you complete the admission process at least two months prior to the start of your stay. Once your admission is complete, you will receive an official letter of admission and a letter of acceptance. Please note that these documents are not to be used for immigration purposes. 

4. Once admitted at UdeM

Academic Life  

UdeM International will contact your academic department regarding your enrollment to a full-time status. Please also contact your Student Technician (TGDE) in order to ensure that your enrollment is finalised. To find the contact information of the TGDE of your program of study.


Following your enrollment, you may be required to pay mandatory medical insurance fees through your Student Center.

Please note that students from certain countries can apply to be exempt.

For more information regarding insurance (in French)

Contact our team for any questions:

If you have any questions regarding the payment of these fees, please see the details online or contact  

Proof of your status in Canada    

You will also need to submit your immigration documents. For more information, please see the details by clicking on the tasks that will appear in your student center:   

Under Residence Permit: Please upload one of the immigration documents listed above: 

  • Work Permit  
  • Passport and boarding pass  
  • Airline ticket and boarding pass  

Under CAQ/Exemptions: Please upload your invitation letter.  

Université de Montréal will contact you if there is a problem with the documents you provided or if another document is required. For questions, please contact  

Improve your French 

Do you want to improve your French? We have a few suggestions to help you in this process. 

5. Useful resources


Find out about student residencies. For more information and assistance regarding off-campus housing, please see the Student Services website. You'll find a practical guide for housing search and links to housing search assistance workshops there. In french only.

Administrative information

Medical insurance  

UdeM has a mandatory group medical insurance plan. Please note that a medical insurance fee of approximately $324 per term will automatically be charged to you via your Student Centre.   

Some students may request to be exempt.  

Learn more about medical insurance

Student Centre  

The Student Centre is the online portal through which you can find information about: 

  • Your studies at UdeM (course schedule, list of courses, gardes, etc.)  
  • Financial information (account statements, health insurance fees, language course fees)  
  • Admission (progression of your application, official acceptance information)  
  • Your personal contact information  
  • Uploading documents (application, immigration, insurance, etc.)  

If you are having difficulty accessing the Student Centre, please consult the Student Centre Help Page.  

Institutional email   

Communications from UdeM will be sent to your institutional email. See how to set up your email >

University calendar 

Consult the university calendar for the exact start and end dates of each term, depending on your faculty or school at UdeM.  

Student invoice 

Once your enrolment is finalized and during the beginning of each term, fees will appear on your Student Centre. These are mandatory medical insurance fees and faculty fees, if applicable. You must pay these fees by the date indicated on your invoice or you will be billed for interest.   

Certificate of enrollment 

Should you need for an official document to be issued or signed (certificate of enrolment, proof of arrival/departure, letter for obtaining a scholarship, etc.), please request it by contacting the Registrar’s Office (fees apply). 

Student ID  

Find out how to obtain your student card >

New Students Office

Kick off your exchange at UdeM on the right foot with a wide range of resources and opportunities to help with your arrival and integration.

UdeM +1 Facebook Group  

This Facebook group is dedicated to newly admitted students and students awaiting admission to UdeM in the fall or winter. You are invited to ask questions and share with your peers.  

Through their unique backgrounds, the student ambassadors will answer your questions and share their experiences with you.  

Join the 2024-2025 group

Buddy Program

Studying abroad can be challenging, but you do not have to go through it alone! Experienced students can help you with your arrival and the early stages of your exchange. The Buddy Program pairs you with students who will offer you their support and expertise. With its various exclusive networking activities, you will also have the opportunity to meet other new students.

Apply for the Buddy Program

It is possible to apply from the beginning of August.

Orientation activities

At the start of every academic year, UdeM Student Life Services (Services à la vie étudiante) put on a wide variety of events that offer you many opportunities to build friendships and to discover all that UdeM has to offer. Orientation Week, designed especially for new students, takes place at the end of August. It includes orientation activities, workshops, campus tours, and much more.

You won’t want to miss this chance to discover all the good things waiting for you at UdeM. It’s also a great chance to meet the yearly group of ambassadors in person—the people who will use their knowledge of the UdeM campus to keep you entertained and welcome you into our big family.

For exchange students who are coming to UdeM at the start of winter term, a similar set of orientation activities are held at the start of January. Whenever you arrive, take advantage of these opportunities to familiarize yourself with everything that your UdeM has to offer and to start off your time here on the right foot!

Learn more about the Orientation Week


Focus UdeM blog 

Check out our blog for new students where student ambassadors share their authentic university experience.

Discover Focus UdeM

Resources on living in Montréal

Familiarise yourselves about life in Montréal and find out more about cost of living, food, culture, transportation and much more.

Health and psychological support

Our health and psychological support services are accessible at any time.

Students living with disabilities

Students can contact the Office for Students with Disabilities for assessment and support prior to arrival, to ensure that they qualify for services.

Additional fees may apply for some services.

Learn more about the offered support

Athletic activities

As an exchange student, you will have access to the UdeM athletics centre (CEPSUM).  

See the available activities

Your resources
Questions about choosing courses, enrolment, etc.

Academic advisor - Your advisor's contact information is included in your welcome message.

Student Technician (TGDE)

Mitacs Globalink Research Awards:

Health insurance - Group health insurance
HousingOff-campus housing |
Support and activities for international studentsSupport for the International Students 
Activities for new studentsNew Students Office
Any other questions

Student Mobility Team:

Mitacs Globalink Research Awards:

6. Scholarships

Mitacs Globalink Award

You may be eligible the receive the Mitacs Globalink Award. An application can be submitted at any time.

Learn more

Additional information:

  1. You must get approval from a professor/supervisor at UdeM before submitting your application.
  2. Incoming students must obtain $3,000 in co-funding from an external source (professor/supervisor from UdeM or home institution, funding organizations, personal funding, private companies, etc.)
  3. Please note that your application for the Globalink award must be submitted 16 weeks before the start date of your research project.